Water Damage at Grand Haven, MI School
Water damage on the weekend? SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County is Here to help® 24/7!
As a Facilities Director for a school district, water damage to one of your buildings can be particularly devastating. Not only is there the damage itself that needs repaired quickly, but there's the disruption to the students and teachers. SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County professionals are prepared to evaluate your water-damaged property quickly.
The Facilities Director for this elementary school in Grand Haven was able to stay calm after a pipe broke in the mechanical attic on a Saturday afternoon, flooding the attic and affecting four rooms below. The school district has an Emergency Ready Plan (ERP) in place with us so they knew exactly where the main water shut off valce was, helping to reduce the severity of the damage.
An Emergency Ready Plan (ERP) is a no-cost assessment of your facility, a concise Profile Document that contains only the critical information needed in the event of an emergency, and a guide to help you get back into your building following a disaster. With our Emergency Ready Plan (ERP), your facility will be able to minimize interruption because you'll know what to do and what to expect if any-sized disaster strikes.
You can stay a step ahead of unexpected disasters by having a plan of action in place before you need it. Call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County today to schedule your ERP appointment, 616-396-8180
Thoroughly Impressed Customer in Holland, MI
5-star service is what we strive for!
At SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County we recognize the stress and worry that comes with water, fire, or mold damage and the disruption it causes your life and home. Our goal is to help minimize the interruption and quickly make it "Like it never even happened.®" We strive for exceptional customer service and a recent customer testimonial put a smile on our faces knowing we hit the mark!
"This was our first experience with SERVPRO and it was the absolute best that any homeowner could hope for! Dave Stratton and Trenton were awesome! Very thorough, professional, and courteous! Dave explained very thoroughly step-by-step the entire process and gave a good tutorial on what he had to do and how the equipment functioned. I'm glad he and Trenton are the one's handling our home. I hope not to have to use these services again...LOL...but if I had to I would use SERVPRO again and request Dave and Trenton if that were possible. Thanks again Dave and Trenton!" - Mark
"PRO" is in our name for a reason. If you experience fire, water, or mold damage in your Holland home or business, call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County, 616-396-8180, we are Here to help® 24/7
Outdoor Fire Pit Safety For Your West Olive, MI Home
Be safe this summer!
Summer weather is here, which means backyard barbeques and bonfires. Before lighting up an inferno, check out these fire pit safety tips to keep you and your West Olive home safe.
- Check wind conditions - before setting a blaze to your fire pit, check the local weather conditions. Do not use your fire pit if it is unusually windy, which can make it difficult to light the kindling or could blow sparks to surrounding brush or structures, potentially starting a fire.
- Build the fire in the open - never light your fire pit when it is underneath the overhang of a building or beneath trees. Make sure to keep the immediate surrounding area clear of yard waste and other flammable materials. Sparks can blow out of the fire and ignite nearby structures, dry wood, or leaves, which could lead to a fire emergency.
- Never burn construction lumber - to fuel your fire, use wood from around your home or seasoned hardwood kindling and logs. Never use construction materials such as plywood, MDF, pressure-treated boards and posts, or chemically treated wood pallets. These are treated with chemical resins, adhesives, and other substances that emit toxic fumes when burned.
- Be ready to extinguish flames - keep a fire extinguisher, garden hose, or bucket of water nearby to extinguish the fire in case of an emergency. A shovel is handy as well to smother the flames by throwing dirt on them.
- Never leave a fire unattended - even when the fire has died down and only glowing embers remain, do not leave your fire unattended. Tiny flames are still a potential threat as they can rekindle a fire. Make sure to pour water over live embers and turn logs to make sure all sides have stopped burning.
If your home experiences fire damage, call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County, we are Here to help®, 616-396-8180
When Water Damage Strikes Your Allendale, MI Home or Business
When water damage strikes, call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County. We're Here to Help®
The first 24 hours following a water loss are the most important in preventing secondary or permanent damage to your Allendale business or home. Within four hours of receiving an emergency loss notification, a SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County professional will be on-site to help ensure your water damage is handled correctly by completing the following steps.
SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County professionals will inspect the affected areas to determine the extent of water damage and will review the inspection with you to answer any questions before beginning any work.
SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County professionals will take steps to help protect your home or business, as well as property and other contents, from further damage by extracting the excess water and preparing the area for drying. They will explain the needed emergency services to you step-by-step.
To help ensure your home or business and belongings are dried to appropriate industry standards, a SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County professional will monitor the drying process. The updates will be consistently communicated with you.
SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County professionals will repair structural materials, reinstall carpets, and clean affected areas of your property and contents. A final walk-through of the jobsite will be conducted with you to help ensure the property was returned to its preloss condition.
Dealing with water damage at your property? Call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County, 616-396-8180. We can make it, Like it never even happened.®
Preventing a Garage Fire at Your Spring Lake, MI Home
This Spring Lake home was part of the statistic.
According to the U.S. Fire Administration and FEMA, there are 6,600 garage fires in homes every year, with the leading cause as electrical malfunction. The following are some prevention tips to keep your Spring Lake home safe from a garage fire:
- Store oil, gas, paint, propane, and varnishes in a shed or building away from your home.
- Keep items that can burn on shelves away from appliances.
- Plug only one charging appliance into an outlet.
- Do not use an extension cord when charging an appliance.
- A 20-minute fire-rated door that is self-closing and self-latching from the garage into the house.
- If you have living space above the garage - a ceiling made with 5/8-inch Type X gypsum board.
- If a wall attaches the garage to your home - a wall with 1/2-inch gypsum board.
- If you have attic access from the garage - an attic hatch cover.
- A heat alarm, not a smoke alarm, in your garage. The heat alarm will sound if the temperature rises too high.
If your home has experienced a garage fire, call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County today for an estimate, 616-396-8180
Lightning Safety for Allendale, MI Residents
National Lightning Safety Awareness Week: June 19-25, 2022
June 19-25th is National Lightning Safety Awareness Week. Back in 2001 it was started to call attention to lightning being an underrated killer. Since starting the week of awareness, U.S. lightning fatalities have dropped from roughly 55 per year to less that 30. It is believed that the reduction is largely due to greater awareness and people taking thunderstorms more seriously. During the week, challenge yourself to learn more about lightning and how to stay safe.
Lightning rods, and the accompanying protection system, are a way to keep your home safe from lightning. They are designed to protect a house or building from a direct lightning strike and, in particular, a lightning-initiated fire. Lightning protection systems do not prevent lightning from striking a structure, they intercept a lightning strike, providing a conductive path for the harmful electrical discharge that follows and disperses the energy safely into the ground. The components must be properly connected, or bonded, to minimize the chances for any sparks or side flashes to occur. Lightning rods protect a structure from direct lightning strike, but a complete protection system is needed to help prevent electrical surges and possible fires caused by lightning entering a structure via wires and pipes. Gas piping may also need lightning protection.
Lightning can enter a structure from three main ways: a direct strike, through wires or pipes that extend outside the structure, or through the ground. Once in a structure, lightning can travel the electrical, phone, plumbing, and radio/television reception systems. Lightning can also travel through metal wires or bars in concrete walls or flooring.
If your Allendale home has suffered a lightning-initiated fire, call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County today, 616-396-8180. We are Here to Help®
Pet Loving Ferrysburg, MI Residents - Fire Evacuation Plan For Your Home
Pets are a part of our families; make sure to include them in your fire evacuation plan.
According to the American Pet Products Association (APPA) 2021-2022 National Pet Owners Survey, seventy percent of U.S. households, or about 90.5 million families, own a pet. During a fire, your first priority is to get yourself and your family members our safely. Having a fire evacuation plan helps to keep you and your family a little more calm; and since our pets are a part of our families, don't forget to add them into your plan.
Preparation is key when it comes to protecting your pets in a fire. In case your pets are in an unsafe location that you or a family member can't get to during a fire, there are several things that you can do to better the chance of your pets rescue:
- Keep your pet in a room or area that is easily accessible to fire fighters.
- Update your pet alert window cling on the front window of your home.
- Put together a disaster supply kit just for your pets, including medications, food, and other dog supplies.
- Place important pet ownership documents and proof of vaccinations in a fire safe box that you can easily retrieve.
- Teach your pets the "Come" command so you can easily direct them towards you in an emergency.
If your Ferrysburg home has experienced a fire, call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County for an estimate, 616-396-8180. We are Here to help®
Common Types Of Storm Damage In Robinson, MI
Has storm damage wreaked havoc on your property? SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County is Here to help®
Weather can be unpredictable and severe storms can come out of nowhere. When storms blow through Robinson, they bring all sorts of conditions with them. The following are a few basic types of damage a storm can cause to your home or business.
Strong gusts of wind can harm your house or business in different ways. It can lift shingles from your roof, leaving it exposed to the elements and further damage. Winds can also carry debris and when that debris comes in contact with your business or home at a high speed, it can cause cracks and holes in siding and windows.
Heavy rainfall can cause street flooding as well as flooding inside your home or business. Water wants to find the lowest point so it can find its way into your home from the ground level or a crack in your roof. Make sure to call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County if your home or business suffers from water damage to make sure it is mitigated properly.
Hail damage is difficult to identify the cause because the next day it melts away. Depending on the size of the hail, it can cause cracks and holes in siding, knock loose roofing materials, or shatter and chip windows.
If your home or business has suffered storm damage, call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County, 616-396-8180. We're Here to help® 24/7
Common Mistakes Nunica Residents Make After A Water Damage
Make sure not to make these mistakes after a water damage in your home or business.
When experiencing a water damage in your home, many people's reaction would be to start cleaning the mess up themselves. As it is good to stop the source of water and remove excess water, the most critical mistake is handling everything on your own. Below are some common mistakes that homeowners make when a water damage happens in their Nunica home:
"I put a fan on it and have a dehumidifier running."
Many of our mold jobs come from a business owner or homeowner that decided to turn their water damage into a DIY project. SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County has technicians specifically trained in water restoration through the standards and best practices of The Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC). There is a science to drying, and SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County technicians are experts in it. They also use advanced commercial inspection and extraction equipment to dry and restore as efficiently as possible.
Waiting Too Long
Life is hectic, we understand; but when water damage affects your home, immediate action is key. The longer water sits, the more damage to your home. Taking care of the situation promptly can save you a lot of time, stress, and money.
Not Understanding Your Homeowners Policy
Many homeowners do not even know which insurance carrier they have, let alone know what is included in their policy. Make sure to get with your insurance agent before a disaster strikes to know what type of coverage you have. If you live in a high flood zone, you should consider adding flood insurance since that is normally not covered by your homeowners insurance. Also, if you have a sump pump, look into an endorsement, or rider, for a sump pump failure.
Do not make these mistakes. If you're dealing with a clean water damage, there are some tips that you can do while waiting for SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County to arrive. Call us today, 616-396-8180
A Tree Fell On My Home In Zeeland, MI - Now What To Do?
Take the necessary steps when a tree falls on your home.
When a tree falls on your roof, or any part of your home, it can cause many problems. It can damage your home's structure, it exposes your home to the elements, and increases risk of other damage from electrical sources. The following are steps of who to call after a tree falls on your Zeeland, MI home.
- Make contact with necessary individuals - first you will want to call your insurance company to consider coverage. Then call a tree removal company, someone to tarp the roof, and a roofer. Lastly, call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County if you need water mitigation inside your home.
- Remove tree - we are not able to address water issues inside the home until the damaged area of the roof is cleared.
- Tarp exposed areas - a fallen tree most likely will cause damage to the roof, leaving it exposed. To ensure outside elements do not get in and cause more damage, tarping temporarily protects your home so SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County can mitigate the water damage inside.
- Contact a roofing contractor - you can not leave your roof tarped forever. You will need to get with a roofing company to determine the next phase of repairs to your roof.
A fallen tree can cause a lot of damage and stress. The above steps can help ease that stress. Call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County today, 616-396-8180