A Tree Fell On My Home In Zeeland, MI - Now What To Do?
Take the necessary steps when a tree falls on your home.
When a tree falls on your roof, or any part of your home, it can cause many problems. It can damage your home's structure, it exposes your home to the elements, and increases risk of other damage from electrical sources. The following are steps of who to call after a tree falls on your Zeeland, MI home.
- Make contact with necessary individuals - first you will want to call your insurance company to consider coverage. Then call a tree removal company, someone to tarp the roof, and a roofer. Lastly, call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County if you need water mitigation inside your home.
- Remove tree - we are not able to address water issues inside the home until the damaged area of the roof is cleared.
- Tarp exposed areas - a fallen tree most likely will cause damage to the roof, leaving it exposed. To ensure outside elements do not get in and cause more damage, tarping temporarily protects your home so SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County can mitigate the water damage inside.
- Contact a roofing contractor - you can not leave your roof tarped forever. You will need to get with a roofing company to determine the next phase of repairs to your roof.
A fallen tree can cause a lot of damage and stress. The above steps can help ease that stress. Call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County today, 616-396-8180
Severe Wind Damage In Spring Lake, MI? SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County Can Help
Tips for protecting yourself during a power outage.
Spring Lake, MI can experience more severe winds than inward because of the proximity to Lake Michigan. Many of these wind storms can cause power outages. SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County responds to storm damage emergencies throughout the year. Below are some tips for protecting yourself during a power outage:
- Keep freezers and refrigerators closed.
- Only use generators outdoors and away from windows.
- Do not use a gas stove to heat your home.
- Disconnect appliances and electronics to avoid damage from electrical surges.
- Use alternate plans for refrigerating medicines or power-dependent medical devices.
- If safe, go to an alternate location for heat or cooling.
- Check on your neighbors.
If your home or business is damaged by wind or other severe weather, SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County has the equipment, training, and experience to help make it "Like it never even happened." Call us today, 616-396-8180
Power Bank Explosion in Grand Haven, MI Home
This burned windowsill and wall was caused by a portable power bank that exploded.
Our electronics, such as cellphones and tablets, are our lifelines. That's why demand for portable power banks has increased throughout the years, and can be found in many homes. This homeowner in Grand Haven did not realize that not all power banks are created equal and they can be very disastrous. While charging on the windowsill it exploded, catch fire, and then caught a second one on fire that was nearby. Luckily they were able to act fast to douse the fire before more damaged happened.
Poor circuit design is a main reason for explosions in power banks, as they are built with Li-ion batteries. Make sure to buy your power banks from a trusted brand and supplier. The following are some ways to prevent an explosion from happening:
- Keep your power bank cool - place in a cooler place, especially in the warmer months
- Do not overcharge your power bank - when it is full, disconnect it
- Do not charge your power bank when no one is home
- Do not drop, bump or squeeze your power bank - this may cause misalignment with internal parts or battery leakage
- Discard your power bank if it shows any signs of malfunction - bulging is a malfunction, dispose of safely (not in the trash) immediately
If your home or business has experienced a fire, big or small, call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County, 616-396-8180. We are Here to Help®
Is Your Zeeland, MI Vacation Rental At Risk?
Make sure you know what is lurking in your short term rental property.
Tulip Time in Holland is quickly approaching, which will draw thousands of tourists into the area. If you own a short term rental in Zeeland, your property is at risk for unnoticed water damage or mold growth.
Pipe leaks and water damage can do undetected for a while if it is a slow leak. Make sure to check your property for water damage in the following areas, walls, bathrooms, under sinks, behind large appliances, around hoses, and faucets.
In damp environments, mold can grow very easily over time. We recommend walking through your property before welcoming new guests to check for any signs of mold. The most common places that mold can grow are cabinets, closets, behind/under furniture, small enclosed spaces, and dark/damp rooms.
If you find water damage or mold in your rental property, call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County for an estimate, 616-396-8180
Sewage Backup Causes For Your Holland, MI Home
This basement bathroom was affected by a city sewer main backup.
Sewage backups can be an extremely devastating event that can happen to just about any business or home in Holland. There are three main reasons why you may experience a sewage backup.
- Clog - if you have a singular trouble area that experiences a backup, like a tub or sink, it most likely is a clog and can be fixed by cleaning the drain. If all drains in your home or business are backed up, there is a blockage at the main drain that is causing the issue. The overflow will continue and will cause extensive damage to your entire home or business until the blockage is removed.
- Tree Roots - roots of large trees in the area of a sewer line can often cause severe problems. They can grow into the pipes and cause holes and blockages. They can also wrap around the sewer line and crush it.
- Damaged Sewer Lines - older properties usually have older sewer lines that have not been upgraded. All pipes and sewer lines in older homes were built using cast iron and clay which can wear off with time, get rusty, and easily break down. New sewer lines are made out of plastic and cannot cause these issues.
Sewage backups can be hazardous to your health and cause a great amount of structural damage to your home or business. If you experience a sewage backup, do not attempt to flush the toilet. Do not use harsh chemicals to attempt to clear the drain. Leave the clearing and cleaning to the professionals, as SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County helps to ensure your damage is mitigated according to industry standards.
If you have experienced a sewage backup, call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County today, 616-396-8180, we are Here to help®
Our People Make The Difference
SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County, we are Here to Help®
When it comes to disaster recovery, we are not the only company in town, but there's a reason why so many homeowners and businesses choose SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County to recover from water, fire, storm, mold or flood damage.
We Invest In Our Employees
SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County invests in having the most knowledgeable employees in the business. Educating our team is a high priority.
IICRC Training and Certification
The Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) certifies and sets the standards for the cleaning and restoration industry. Our technicians study these high standards and best practices in water restoration, fire restoration, mold remediation, and other cleaning and restoration courses. These courses help them to be well-prepared to handle any disaster quickly and effectively.
Employee Certification Training
The SERVPRO HeroReady Production Technician learning path is a self-paced program designed for technicians to further their knowledge and training in crew training, fire restoration, water restoration, and advanced structural drying. Certification is awarded after successful completion of course materials and exam.
From initial and ongoing training, rest assured our professionals are equipped with the knowledge to restore your property. If your property suffers water, flood, storm, fire, or mold damage, know you're in good hands with the SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County team.
SERVPRO of Holland / Ottawa County has the training and expertise to help make your damage "Like it never even happened." Call us today, 616-396-8180
Signs Your Coopersville Business May Have A Mold Problem
These mushrooms started growing because of a slow leak from the bathroom sink that went undetected for weeks.
Mold can be a major issue for anyone, especially a business owner. In addition to disrupting your employees productivity and potential health effects, active mold growth can cause damage to your building, furniture, and more. Many business owners respond to mold growth once it's a major problem. The following are a few signs that you can look for to hopefully catch the mold growth before it becomes a complete mess.
- You see visible mold/mushrooms - this is one of the most obvious signs. Contact SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County to set up an estimate and scope of work to remediate the damage.
- You notice a musty smell - mold doesn't always grow in visible places. Under a sink, behind drywall, or under carpet are just a few places it can hide. Mold gives off a musty smell though; if you detect a musty odor in your business, it's best to call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County to test for mold.
- Your business recently had water damage - mold can start to grow in as little as 24 to 48 hours under certain conditions. Quick drying and antimicrobial application helps to deter mold growth, but many water damages go undetected longer than they should. If you notice water damage in your facility, call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County immediately.
Mold growth can disrupt your Coopersville business, but it also can be taken care of by a mold remediation company. Our team at SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County has successfully remediated many mold impacted businesses. Call us today for a free estimate, 616-396-8180
How To Prevent A Furnace Puff Back In Your Nunica Home
This Nunica home recently suffered damage throughout their home due to a furnace puff back.
A puff back happens when an oil burning furnace does not ignite right away. Oil vapors build up in the ignition chamber, which causes an explosion when the igniter finally does trigger. The explosion blows soot and other debris through the furnace's exhaust system and into the heating system, carrying it into the home. If the furnace is connected to a forced air heating system, the ducts can carry the puff back to every room in the home with a vent open.
Common Reasons For Puff Backs:
- Leaks in the oil supply piping
- Heater shutdown problems
- Clogged or damaged oil spray nozzle
- Issues with chimney or heater installation
- Problems with combustion gas venting
Preventing Puff Backs:
- Know the warning signs - oil leaks, loud startup, noise after shutoff, sooty operation, strange odors
- Address problems immediately
- Have your heating system serviced on a regular basis
If your Nunica home was experienced a furnace puff back, call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County. We have the training and expertise to help make your damage "Like it never even happened.", 616-396-8180
National Burn Awareness Week
Keep you and your family safe with these cooking tips.
The American Burn Association has set aside the first full week in February as National Burn Awareness Week (NBAW). The 2022 theme is Burning Issues in the Kitchen. Cooking is the number one cause of residential fires in the United States, and the American Burn Association reports 47% of all home fires are caused by cooking. The following are a few tips to keep you and your family safe while cooking in your West Olive home:
- The best time to cook is when you are wide awake, and not drowsy from medication or alcohol.
- Keep a pan lid and dry potholders or oven mitts near you every time you cook.
- When heating food in the microwave, only use microwave-safe cookware that allows steam to escape and allow food to rest before removing it from the microwave.
- Stay in the kitchen while you are frying, grilling, or broiling food. If you leave, turn off the stove.
- After cooking, check the kitchen to make sure all burners and other appliances are turned off.
Experienced fire damage to your West Olive home from a cooking fire? Call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County, 616-396-8180, we are Here to Help®
Sewer Backup at Your Ferrysburg Rental Property?
This sewage was caused by a septic tank backing up.
As a property manager, you should have a premier cleaning and restoration company, like SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County, on speed dial. This Ferrysburg rental property's septic tank backed up and shorted out the panel on the furnace. The heating company would not come out to fix the issue until the sewage was taken care of properly. This property manager knew to call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County to handle the situation. They knew our technicians are trained and certified to cleanup areas compromised by sewage.
Sewage falls under Category 3: "Black Water" which is extremely unsanitary. It can cause severe illness or death if ingested and should be avoided without proper PPE. Even if the sewage is clear, it introduces harmful microorganisms to the area. Our technicians remove the sewage, contaminates, and moisture by extracting, disinfecting, and deodorizing.
When your rental property has a sewer backup, call the professionals that have training and expertise in helping make your damage "Like it never even happened." SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County, 616-396-8180