Extension Cord Tips for Safety
Extension cords are one of the most commonly misused items in homes or businesses. Consider the following tips when selecting an extension cord to ensure safe usage.
- Determine the wattage/size extension cord required to power a device. If connecting two or more appliances, add together the wattage rating for all appliances to prevent overload.
- Determine whether the cord will be used indoors or outdoors and select appropriately.
- Do not use extension cords that are cut or damaged. Touching even a single exposed strand of wire can give you an electric shock or burn.
- Do not keep extension cords plugged in when not in use. The cord will still conduct electricity until it is unplugged.
- Do not run the cord under carpet or across a doorway.