If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (616) 396-8180

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Power Bank Explosion in Grand Haven, MI Home

4/15/2022 (Permalink)

Windowsill and wall burned from exploding portable power bank This burned windowsill and wall was caused by a portable power bank that exploded.

Our electronics, such as cellphones and tablets, are our lifelines.  That's why demand for portable power banks has increased throughout the years, and can be found in many homes.  This homeowner in Grand Haven did not realize that not all power banks are created equal and they can be very disastrous.  While charging on the windowsill it exploded, catch fire, and then caught a second one on fire that was nearby.  Luckily they were able to act fast to douse the fire before more damaged happened.

Poor circuit design is a main reason for explosions in power banks, as they are built with Li-ion batteries.  Make sure to buy your power banks from a trusted brand and supplier.  The following are some ways to prevent an explosion from happening:

  • Keep your power bank cool - place in a cooler place, especially in the warmer months
  • Do not overcharge your power bank - when it is full, disconnect it
  • Do not charge your power bank when no one is home
  • Do not drop, bump or squeeze your power bank - this may cause misalignment with internal parts or battery leakage
  • Discard your power bank if it shows any signs of malfunction - bulging is a malfunction, dispose of safely (not in the trash) immediately

If your home or business has experienced a fire, big or small, call SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County, 616-396-8180. We are Here to Help®

Other News

View Recent Posts