Do You Have a Fire Evacuation Plan For Your Nunica Business?
Lately we have been receiving more calls about fires in manufacturing facilities. Luckily these fires started after hours with minimal employees working. When a fire threatens your employees and business, there are numerous things that can go wrong. While fires are dangerous enough, the threat is often enhanced by panic and chaos if your company is not prepared. The best way to prevent this from happening is to have a detailed and rehearsed evacuation plan, with SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County on speed dial. The following are some ideas to start your plan or to improve your current one:
- Plan for several scenarios - you want to start your plan with basic questions to uncover primary threats your business may face in the case of a fire. Where might fires start? How and why would they start? What if "X" happens? Those are a few questions to think about.
- Solidify escape routes and nearest exits - the best plan will include primary and secondary escape routes. Exit routes and fire escapes should be clearly marked and clear of obstructions. It is also very important to designate an area outside for employees to gather so you can get a headcount.
- Create a communication plan - designate someone whose primary job is to call the fire department and SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County, as well as communicate with customers, and the news media, if necessary.
- Know your tools and inspect them - the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends refilling reusable fire extinguishers every 10 years and replacing disposable ones every 12 years. When's the last time you checked yours? Also, periodically remind employees where fire extinguishers are located in the workplace.
- Practice fire evacuation plan - conducting regular fire drills minimizes confusion and can reduce panic when a real emergency occurs. You should plan for semi-annual practices or at least annual.
SERVPRO of Holland / West Ottawa County cares about you and your business. If you experience a fire in your Nunica business, we are Here to help®. Give us a call today, 616-396-8180