With spring cleaning and remodeling taking place, there is a certain tool that comes in handy when extra outlets are needed: Power strips. Although they are helpful, they can pose a serious fire risk. We are often times not worried about how much power we may be drawing through a single outlet. With many homeowners living in 30+ year old homes, the power outlets are not capable of handling the usage of modern day technology. Major appliances such as dryers, air conditioners, refrigerators, etc. should always be plugged into their own outlet due to their heavy power usage.
Look for these signs that your electrical system may be overloaded:
- Lights flicker or dim
- Circuit breakers trip or fuses blow regularly
- Cords or wall plates are warm or discolored
- Crackling, sizzling or buzzing is heard from outlets
If you notice any of these signs, reduce electrical usage and have your home inspected by a professional. Do not fall victim to an electrical fire.