Top Fire Hazards In Your Holland Home
Our home, the place we feel safest. To stay safe in your residence, check out these top fire hazards that can potentially happen in your Holland home.
- Electrical Outlet Issues - the top cause of house fires in the United States stems from issues with electrical outlets. We are currently using more electronic devices than ever and are most times using too many on a single outlet. To help prevent fires, be sure not t exceed your voltage on a single outlet in your home.
- Outdated Home Wiring - household wiring should be checked routinely to avoid circumstances that trigger major fire damage in your home. Oftentimes wiring that is outdated, worn, or even compromised from animals can cause fire hazards in and outside your home.
- Decorative Lights - be sure to take the proper precaution when using decorative lights including outside lights, plugs, surge protectors, extension cords, and turning off lighting when you are not around to minimize risks.
- Hair Products - never forget to unplug styling products. Make sure that your curling iron and hair dryers are off and placed on heat proof material to help reduce the chances of a fire.
- Toasters - proper care of your toaster can help to prevent house fires. Crumbs inside the toaster can be dangerous as they can cause sparks, which can lead to hazardous problems in the kitchen. Make sure to clean your toaster regularly.
- Candles - the ambiance and smell of candles are pleasant, however, you need to be cautious where you place them and be sure to put them out prior to going to bed or leaving. When using candles, always use a holder that prevents them from falling over, and set them on a flat surface or table.
- Washers and Dryers - washers and dryers are a leading cause of fires in homes. Routine maintenance and cleaning can help prevent fires. Make sure to clean the filters and vents inside and outside.
- Smoking - if you or someone in your home is a smoker, try to do so outside. Always keep lighters and matches out of reach of children.
- Dust in Electric Sockets - dust can pile inside electrical sockets, and if not cleaned regularly, may ignite and result in a fire. Use a can of compressed air to blow dust out of the outlet and surrounding area.
- Electric Blankets - electric blankets do wonders to keep us warm during colder months but they can cause fires. Be sure to use a blanket that doesn't have too much wear and tear. When not in use, do not fold the blanket as it helps to prevent electrical issues that can lead to a fire hazard.
If you experience a fire in your home, do not hesitate to call SERVPRO of Holland/West Ottawa County. We are Here to Help, 616-396-8180