Generator Safety Tips for Your Coopersville, MI Home
When bad weather strikes and the power goes out, it is helpful to have a generator on hand to keep your Coopersville home running. Below are tips on how to safely operate your generator from the U.S. Fire Administration and SERVPRO of Holland/West Ottawa County.
- Use portable generators outdoors in well ventilated areas away from doors, windows, and vents.
- Make sure you have carbon monoxide alarms in your home.
- Do not use a generator in a wet area or with wet hands as this can cause shock or electrocution.
- Connect appliances to the generator with heavy-duty extension cords.
- Do not fuel your generator when it is running. Spilling gas on a hot engine can cause a fire.
- Run your generator every few months to make sure that it is still functioning.
If your home experiences damage from a storm, call SERVPRO of Holland/West Ottawa County today, 616-396-8180