If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (616) 396-8180

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Electrical Safety

2/22/2021 (Permalink)

Plug going into wall outlet Be fire smart with electricity in your home

Electricity helps make our lives easier but there can be times when we take its power and its potential for fire-related hazards for granted.  According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), there are approximately 45,000 home electrical fires each year with half of them involving home wiring or lighting equipment.  Peak months for electrical fire deaths are November through March with peak times between midnight and 8:00am.  The following are a few tips to be fire smart with electricity in your home:

  • Plug only one heat-producing appliance (like a coffee maker, space heater, or microwave) directly into a wall outlet at a time.
  • Never use an extension cord with a heat-producing appliance.
  • Extension cords should only be used temporarily.  Have an electrician install wall outlets where you need them.
  • Major appliances should be plugged directly into a wall outlet.  Do not use extension cords or plug strips.

If you experience fire damage from an electrical fire, SERVPRO of Holland/W. Ottawa County is Here to Help!  Call us today, 616-396-8180

Other News

View Recent Posts