Winter Safety Tips
Did you know that half of all home heating fires occur in December, January and February? 1 in every 7 home fires and 1 in every 5 home fire deaths involves heating equipment. The following are a few tips from the U.S. Fire Administration to help prevent you from becoming a part of the statistic:
- Have a qualified professional clean and inspect your chimney and vents every year.
- Store cooled ashes in a tightly covered metal container and keep it outside at least 10 feet from your home and any nearby buildings.
- Plug only 1 heat-producing appliance (like a space heater) into an electrical outlet at a time.
- Keep anything that can burn at least 3 feet from any heat source like fireplaces, wood stoves, radiators or space heaters.
- Turn space heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Keep portable generators outside, away from windows, and as far away from your home as possible.
- Install and test carbon monoxide alarms at least once a month.
If you have experienced a fire in your home, call SERVPRO of Holland/W. Ottawa County today, (616) 396-8180